Thursday, September 6, 2007

Rich Rediker's Memories

I was one of the few huge Sox fans before 1967. My credentials include being one of only a few hundred fans at the last game in 1966 when I was 14 years old.

As always, I was one of only 8000 or so fans who attended opening day in 1967 two times and I still have the program. I had to cut Physics twice to attend opening day as the first day it was snowed out.

I was at the last two games against the Twins and was one of the many people running out on the field to try to get to Jim Lonborg after the famous popup. I still have a bag of grass I picked from Fenway that day as well as the program. If anyone would like a few pieces to try to clone a yard from that sacred turf, I would be happy to part with some. I also have the official 1967 schedule on which I marked each game. Before the season, I bet 5 cents at 100 to 1 odds on the Sox to win the pennant. I won $5 but re-invested it on a double or nothing bet on the World Series and ended up with nothing.

Rich Rediker
Hampden, MA