Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bonnie Brewer's Memories

I came to Sarasota, Fl after college graduation because the Sox trained here. (they left and went to Arz and I stayed as a teacher).

Itaught Jr High, social studies and PE. At that time there was no ML team in Florida. I immediately started teaching my students about the RedSox . During the 60's many of the games were played during the weekday afternoons. I was able to take a TV to school, rig up an antenna with old coat hangers and aluminum foil and we watched the
Series! Because most students walked to school, they stayed after dismissal to see the end of the games. Several teachers became interested also!

Each summer that I returned to Newton and Fenway I collected the wonderful throw away soda cups and brought them back with me. We used those cups while watching the games.

I still see former students at the Trop when the Sox are here to play the Rays. The spread of the nation that started in my classes in 1967.

Bonnie Brewer
Sarasota, Fl.