Thursday, September 6, 2007

Bob Rutchik's Memories

I have wonderful, priceless, memories one from the beginning, middle, and the end of the 67 season and a tragic one from that magical season.

Iremember sitting in my mother's car on a Friday April afternoon waiting for her outside the beauty parlor where she was having her hair done listening to Ned Martin and Ken Coleman call the action as BillyRohr tried for immortality, only to be denied by Elston Howard with one out, I believe, in the 9th.

Iremember watching that remarkable play by Jose Tartabull where he caught Ken Berry's fly and with his rag arm threw a fly ball to Elston Howard, now a Sox, who blocked the plate and caught the ball and tagged out Duane Josephson. (Or was it Josephson who hit the fly and Berry who tried to score?) That made me a believer because the WhiteSox speed and pitching game, literally, ran circles around the slow, ponderous, Red Sox. The Red Sox could never beat these guys. Now, the Red Sox finally beat them.

I remember being at Wonderland Dog Track on an August Friday night and hearing over the PA system the news that Jack Hamilton had beaned Tony and getting sick to my stomach. I remember that picture of him and his swollen left eye the next day in the papers. I knew, as otherSox fans did then no matter how much we wanted to deny it, that was the end of the charismatic Tony C's burgeoning Hall of Fame Career.

Most of all I remember the last weekend against the Twins with Yaz going 7 for 8, a triple crown weekend for the triple crown year. I remember Kaat started the Saturday game and Killebrew, I think, started at 1st for that game and made a big error. Yaz also made a great catch, but can not remember if it was Saturday or Sunday.

I remember as if it was yesterday after Petrocelli caught the last out me and friends going on Route 128, in my Mother's car again, to a car show at Suffolk Downs and listening to the end of the Tigers v. Angels game and that magic moment when McAuliffe, later a Sox, hitting that popup to Knopp and every car, it seemed, on Route 128 touting their horns in celebration. I still hear those horns.

I also remember Gentleman Jim Lonborg not being a gentleman on the mound. He hit, I thnk, 19 batters that season. Today, that would get a pitcher suspended for the season. He also was no easy out at the plate. I remember him hitting a double in
some game.


Bob Rutchik
Now of Rockville, MD
Then of Gloucester (Gloucester High Class of 65)